April 2010 - this web site has been replaced
This site provides an excellent Web page with
information about Social Anxiety Disorder. Topics include:
A definition of the disorder
The American Psychiatric Association criteria for the disorder
Examples of feared situations
Causes of the disorder
Anxiety Disorders Association of Canada
Some lines from the homepage of the Association:
Our mission is to:
- Encourage research to expand our understanding of the causes of anxiety disorders/conditions.
- Advocate for improved access to treatment and support for those who are experiencing
significant distress and disability due to anxiety disorders/conditions.
- Promote the role of consumers in making informed choices among empirically
- Encourage and support consumer and family involvement in self-help, mutual
support, educational and advocacy activities;
- Improve the education resources available to consumers, health service providers,
and policy makers.
This site provides:
Warm Line 416-960-9276
From the Website of the WarmLine Telephone Line:
Progress Place operates a supportive chat line for people in Metropolitan Toronto with mental health problems to call
when they are feeling lonely, isolated or distressed and are in need of someone to chat to. This line is staffed by consumer/survivors
of the mental health system. The line is open Monday to Sunday from 8:00 p.m. to midnight, times when most services are closed.
Self Test for Social Anxiety Disorder
Social Anxiety Network